Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990


Steve has been telling me to try this cigar, over and over again. Some of the people that come into Little Havana Tobacco live by these cigars. So, to silence the peer pressure, I tried it.

This smoke has a wrapper that is aged 12 years, a nice Honduran Maduro wrapper with fillers at least 5 years of age. According to the Rocky Patel website, the binder is Nicaraguan, with fillers from Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. With these stats, according to sources, I was unsure as to how this cigar would pan out, but needless to say, I was happy in the end.

I saw the box shaped cigar, with a very tight wrap, and saw that this had been put together very well. Tight wrap and a tight pack. This was very well put together. Everything was even and the quality of the cigar looked supreme.

I noticed a nice wood smell that reminded me of a fine cedar and a hint of oak. This gave a hint of coffee, or even espresso, to it.

When I lit this wonderful looking cigar, I got a wonderful taste. I was hit with the wood and coffee flavor on the first puff, with a nutty flavor added. Under this complex taste was a sweetness, which turns the coffee to more of an espresso. Between that is a slight earthy flavor. Some people say they taste this, I however barely noticed. On top of that, the aroma of this smoke added to the flavor by giving the same great taste to the nose.

No matter the draw, this cigar does its job. Not only do you get a great smoke and great flavor, but the burn stays constant. No matter how you smoke this this gem, it is wonderful.

All of that for a price of $12.50 plus tax makes this cigar fantastic.

I will give a grade deserving to the student that made it.

Final Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment