Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gurkha Ancient Warrior


Gurkha, this brand makes a very fine cigar. I have to thank my girlfriend Nicole, and my friend Steve, for having me try this smoke. Thanking isn't enough with this one.

This cigar is made with a Brazilian Wrapper, Dominican Binder, and Honduran, Dominican Filler.

When I first saw this dark wrap cigar, I noticed how rough the leaves looked (note the word "looked"), but how wonderful it was wrapped. It looked like a warrior, rough yet dignified. The wrap was very even and well done though. I have been fooled by looks before though, so I wasn't going to let that sway me. I have seen cigars where the wrap looks perfect but you couldn't get it to burn evenly if you tried, and vice versa. But this wrap didn't look bad at all. Darker wraps seem to look rougher at times, but this one had an extra quality: richness. So, all in all, it looked good. Even wrap, rich tobacco, and a nice feel.

I smelled this cigar and it seemed rather mild, but full at the same time. I knew this cigar wasn't going to knock me down, but would it leave me disappointed? I was out on my deck smelling this cigar and taking in the subtle spice, which is due to the Brazillian wrapper. I couldn't tell how it would finish, but I was about to find out.

As I lit this smoke I had a good mellow flavor. It had a roasted flavor with some spice. It wasn't knocking me down, but it got strong as I smoked it down. I had a hint of woodsy flavor as well, which helped the spice flavor out. It was subtle though. The spice was what caught me, and I loved it. As I burned through this smoke I noticed a nice nutty flavor as I slowly let the smoke out. It wasn't a large flavor, but it was a nice addition. Now, some people noticed a creamy flavor at the end. I however did not. Though it your tastebuds are apt to noticed that flavor, this cigar would be for you as well.

The price is decent too. About $12-14. Some places, like wholesalers and internet shops, sell them for $8. Add tax to these numbers, naturally. But getting it at a shop is nice for you have a good place to smoke it.

The finish was great on this as well. It got a little stronger throughout, but not overwhelming. Never harsh. The Brazillian wrapper, with Dominican and Honduran fillers made this cigar a treat in all senses. This is one where if you smoke Cameroon or Maduro wraps, it is a nice change for either. A mellow smoke with a good full flavor.

Final Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment