Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Partagas No. 1

This cigar with its Cameroon wrapper was on sale, so I thought I would try it. It was a light colored cigar with a lonsdale shape. So I grab the cigar and smell the wrapper. It had a nice cedar smell to it. Strong with that scent, but a good scent nevertheless. The contruction was sub par though. The wrapper seemed a little loose and it did not seem solid. Now, I have heard people say they really like these, so I am unsure as to if I just got a bad one, which is possible. Being realistic, if you make a million cigars, some ill made ones are bound to slip by.

The wrap had a fair amount of veins for a light wrap, which made me concerned about how it would smoke. This does not always mean it will smoke poorly though. Usually lighter wraps seem to be smoother and veins come out more when processed more.

When I started this cigar it gave me a nice, tart, cedar flavor. Very basic, but very nice. It had a good smoke, mild flavor, and burned well. As I went on though, it started to get sour. In fact, it got very sour towards the end, as well as a little hot.

The aftertaste was something I could do without too. It left me a tart aftertaste that had me going for water.

Now I have been told that this cigar needs to be smoked slowly. More slow than usual for a cigar of this type. People say that makes the flavor much better, and reduces that tart flavor. So, I would not say avoid this, but to take your time. If it stays with the flavor it starts with because of smoking slower, this is than a good cigar. But my experience was not the greatest.

The price on this was $9 plus tax. The low price is also nice because if you try it, smoke it slowly, and like it, then you got a bargin. If you hate it, you appreciate the good ones you have had and did not spend much money to do so.

Final Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment