Sunday, July 11, 2010

How to start in the world of cigars

Before I begin this post, I would like to thank Steve Johnson for his imput on this and his help. He answered many questions and discussed with me the factors of rating cigars, picking cigars, and picking tobacco shops. Over the time I have known him, we have discussed all of these things and that helped make this post possible.

First thing is first, finding a shop. Now everyone has different tastes, but when starting out, you want a nice balance and good comfort. Most importantly, a person to help you and listen to you. In time you find these things and it becomes your homebase for your cigars. Also, you need a shop that listens to customer feedback. I am going to compare the two cigar shops I have been to the most as an example.

I was at a shop called Tobacco Grove. It had nice things, but it was cramped. Finding a place to sit down was next to impossible. Next was the selection. This selection was huge! I didn't know what I wanted. Mainly because I didn't know where to start. I have to crouch and lean and search to find much of anything. This selection was only for cigar veterans. There was no other good cigar shops around though so I was out of options. At this place I have had some decent cigars, and some bad ones too. Needless to say, unless you know exactly what you want are are going home to smoke it, this is not your place. Also, prices can be hefty. We will get to prices shortly though.

My homebase is Little Havana Tobacco Inc. located in Anoka, MN. I walked in and thought the selection was small. This is a new shop though. But, it was easy to look through. Things were up front, there was plenty of room to sit, and even TVs and good company. Now, Tobbaco Grove has that, but it is cramped, this is not. Also selection. It is an alright selection as far as types, but quality is key. Never had a bad cigar there. If you walk into a place with a massive selection, ask for help. If the help is half hearted, find another shop.

Now service is big. Someone to help you. I have been to shops where I get help, and I don't. Like I do not drink. There are places where they still tell me what would go good with a nice scotch. That means nothing to me. You need a place that listens.

Now, if you are new to smoking cigars, find something in the middle. Oliva Connecticut wrap Robusto is a good middle ground cigar. That can also be used as a baseline later on, so if you smoke dark or light wraps often, this one can bring you back to center. If you are new, it helps you determine which way you want to go.

Honesty is key in the end though. An owner that can say they do not know, instead of lying, is a good thing. You may want someone very smart on the subject, but not being scammed is more important. There are places that will want you to buy the most expensive all the time. These people do not care about enjoyment, just money and I will tell you this, price does not determine qualtiy.

These are some simple things to consider when looking for a smoke shop. I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment