Monday, November 8, 2010

Oliva Master Blends 3

I decided to give this Oliva a shot. Since I have had the rest of them, I should finish off the line.

The wrapper is a Nicaraguan Broadleaf Sun-Grown leaf. The binder is a Nicaraguan Habano leaf, and the filler is made up of Nicaraguan Ligero.

This maduro comes off with a strong earthy flavor. It lasts for a little while but it finishes off with a bitter spice. The mix of these flavors seems very black and white, one or the other. When it is mixed, it is pleasant. Sadly, that does not last long. It comes off very one sided. The spice lingers and leaves a bitter taste.

This box pressed cigar has a nice wrap. Soft and almost like velvet. It is firm and solid. The draw is nice too. Well constructed. The burn is also very even.

Another issue is the price. For a Churchill it is $18.50 plus tax. OK, now if you are die-hard Oliva fan, that is great. For most people, it is not.

This cigar is overpriced and no matter how secretive this blend is, it shouldn't be. It should be told to all cigar makers as to tell them what not to do. Great quality tobacco (depending on the season, and this must have been a poor season) for the most part, but terrible mix.

Final Grade: F

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm surprised. I really like these, although I've only had the robusto so far (I do have a few torpedoes that I haven't gotten around to yet). Of course taste is subjective, and we all perceive things differently, but your honest take on it is appreciated.

    I've been reading your other reviews, and those Minnesota prices are pretty crazy. :p

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete