Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cubao No. 5

Now when I saw this plain cigar in its plain box I thought nothing of it. Just another cigar to try. Plus I had heard some bad things about Cubao. One thing that did interest me was how, when looking at what people say, I get different answers as to how it tastes. So I picked up this Robusto Extra sized cigar and decided to give it a go.

I did not have the Maduro but the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrap. The filler was Nicaraguan.

The construction was even throughout. Felt like it might have been packed a little loose, but whether that is on purpose or not would only be determined on the smoke.

I could taste the woody flavor as the cigar was in my mouth, and that went up greatly after I lit it. I have a good cedar flavor with a hint of oak. On the lower side of strength was nutty/earthy flavors. Throughout all of this it had a nice spice, like adding just a little pepper to a steak. You know it is there and you like it, but it doesn't cover anything. Some people say there was a leather taste, but I myself did not notice it. Now some people also noticed a creamy flavor. I did not.

Here was the part that is amazing: the draw. This cigar had a fantastic draw. Even with that good of a draw, it lasted a long time. Didn't burn fast or get hot. If felt warm on the first couple puffs, then it cooled right off. I had to take half puffs to handle the amount of smoke it gave.

My mother always told me not to judge a book by its covers. Well, do not judge this plain looking cigar either. The only thing that seems off, visually at least, is the price. At $12, you would expect a nicer label or a prettier box. Do not let that fool you. Pick on up. If nothing else, tell me what you tasted in this one. It seems to vary between people greatly.

I liked this cigar. Now I have to tell my friend to keep them in stock.

Final Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment