Monday, January 7, 2013

Camacho Triple Maduro Robusto

It has been too long since I reviewed. Needless to say, working in cigars takes up time. So, I am starting this year off with the Camacho Triple Maduro.

This cigar is made of tobacco from Honduras. It is a puro, so wrapper, binder, and filler are from the same place. With this one though, it is also made of all maduro leaves.

The first third of this cigar hit me with pepper. After the first few puffs I had notes of espresso and dark roast coffee. Hints of charcoal began to come in, creating a nice mix. The next third kept with the espresso. The pepper and dark coffee disappeared. Some of the charcoal remained and some sweetness came into play. That is a good thing because without the other flavors, this cigar might become too bitter. Towards the end an earthy flavor arrived along with a little bit of straw. A light coffee flavor came into it, which mixed well with the other flavors.

This cigar had a slighty toothy and oily wrapper, but it felt brittle. There was a small split in the wrapper, but it did not get bigger and smoked past it just fine. The draw was pretty firm, but it still produced a good smoke. The burn was wavy, but did not need correction. It evened itself out, so all is well with that. Held a decent ash, but after an inch and a half it fell off.

This cigar was a gift from my friend Jeff, so I had to look up a price. It comes to around $15 in MN. That is pretty steep for a Robusto, but this cigar was pretty good. I wish the construction was better, and while it had good flavor, the transition could have been smoother. It took about 45-50 minutes to smoke, which is not a bad time at all. With this price, expectations are higher. The burn is not being counted against it since it evened out, but the construction flaw and the transition will be. All in all, I would give this smoke another go, if nothing else in a different vitola.

Final Grade: B+/A-

1 comment:

  1. This stick has lost quite a bit of power since I bought them over a year ago. I agree with your observations; it's a good smoke, but I expect a little more for the price (luckily, I didn't pay that much lol). As for the construction, if I recall correctly, they came with no cellophane, so the lack of protection may have come into play.

    Thanks for the review and the mention, Josh.

    ReplyDelete